Image Map

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars (Book Review)

I love to read. I've always considered it my hobby. So when I saw that both Bonnie and Julie were reading the same book for their book clubs, I jumped on it!

This month's book was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.


I'm HORRIBLE at summarzing books (even though it's a key first grade standard!) so here's the synopsis of the book:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

I love to read hyped-up books. I have to know what people are talking about. It's how I fell in love with Harry Potter, hated Twilight, and was disappointed in 50 Shades. I had heard about this book and had hoped it would be good.

My hopes were blown out of the water! I fell in love with the character of Hazel from page one. John Green had me wanting to learn more about Hazel from the get go. I also wanted to learn more about Augustus. 

Some of my favorite parts:
  • A lot of times, young adult fiction portrays the parents as idiots. As people to get away from. As people who just don't get it. It was completely refreshing to see that Green did not portray Hazel's or Augustus' parents that way. At times the kids did get exasperated with them, but what teenager doesn't? I loved how Hazel's mom understood what she needed and even surprised her. 
  • How much Augustus cared for Hazel came through so clearly in the book. At times young love can be written as schmaltzy. As a stockpile of sunshine and roses. But that's not what Green did here. Was it a loving relationship? Yes. Was it sad? Of course. But still engaging to read. 
  • I liked how he wrote Peter Van Houten. I don't want to give a lot of way, but I'm glad that his behavior shocked both Hazel and Augustus. If it had been predictable, it would have made me dislike the book. 
My only annoyance:
  • Others have touched on this, but the way that the main characters speak is NOT the way American teenagers speak. At times I had to use my own context clue skills to figure out what the heck they were saying. The language did get a bit distracting at times. But I understood why Green wrote them that way. These teenagers are so vastly different from the typical teenager. 
So go! Read it! I promise you'll like it. I know I liked it, because it had me crying at the end, and I never cry at books or movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me some love!