Image Map

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Yummy in my tummy

So despite the fact that the high today is 80 (CRAZY), earlier this week that was not the case. Welcome to Florida, home of the weather that can't make up it's mind! On Tuesday, it was drizzly and chilly, so I decided to whip up a batch of my yummy Cheddar Potato Soup.

This recipe is super simple. I don't even remember where I originally found it; I've tweaked it so many times that I really feel it's my own.

Cheddar Potato Soup

Serves 2


 

What you will need is:
  • one tablespoon of butter or margarine
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • one tablespoon of flour (not pictured because at the time I left it in my car!)
  • 2 1/2 cups of water
  • one vegetable bouillon cube
  • one large potato OR two medium sized potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
  • one cup of cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste. 

1. Add the butter to a pot on medium heat. Let the butter melt. 
2. Add the onions to the butter. Let them cook for about five minutes, until clear.


3. Add the tablespoon of flour. Cover the onions in the flour.
4. Quickly add the water. Add the vegetable bouillon cube. Bring the heat up to high to get the water boiling.
5. Once the water boils, add the potatoes. Let the water get back to boiling.
6. Once the water boils, lower the heat to medium. Cook the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes (this is all about how soft or hard you want your potatoes to be.



7. Ladle about a cup of the soup into a blender. Make sure the lid is on TIGHT. Blend the potatoes using the pulse feature on your blender. (Note: Be REALLY careful with this step. I once burned my hand because my blender cup was broken!)

8. Pour the blended soup back into the pot. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes that are left.
9. Add the cup of cheese (I add a little more but I love CHEESE).
10. Season with salt and black pepper. 

And voila! You have "the best cheddar potato soup ever!" (Quote courtesy of J.)


The soup makes about two servings. I've doubled it before and even tripled it before to bring to a comfort food potluck! I usually serve it with a salad or a sandwich, but on Tuesday it was the perfect sized meal for J and me. 

Let me know if any of you decide to make it!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! This looks awesome!

    Carly
    www.lipglossandcrayons.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love!